Monday, October 4, 2010

jane eyre... chapters 28 - 38


response #1: What does Jane’s reaction to Rochester’s voice tell us about her character? What are her major conflicts at this time?

I chose this picture because it resembles the quote "If it's meant to be, It will be."
Even though Jane left Rochester months early, due to the fact that she didnt want to be a mistress.. the voices of Rochester in her dreams indicate that her subconcious misses Rochester, and needs him in her life. This inner conflict within Jane deteriorates her being until she finally realizes that she needs to be with Rochester. This reaffirms the fact that if Rochester was meant to be in a life, he eventually would be.





response #2:
Compare and contrast St. John to Rochester. Who is the better choice for a husband for Jane? Why?
I believe that Rochester would make a better husband for Jane than that of St.John. Rochester, from the beginning, proved to make Jane happy. He allowed her to feel free, and accepted her qualities. He never judged her, nor did he make her feel inferior. Their bond, although unlikely, proved to be stronger than any other relationship within the book. St.John on the other hand, was extremely selfish. His actions proved to be egotistical, due to the fact that all he wanted was good for himself. Although his intentions in regards to religion were clear, he treated Jane poorly, and completely disregarded her existance. I believe that it is clear that Rochester would make a better husband than St.John because Jane is truly in love with Rochester. She cares for him as a person, regardless of his inability to see, and regardless of their previous instability in regards to trust.
Jane states "I hold myself supremely blest—blest beyond what language can express; because I am my husband’s life as fully as he is mine. No woman was ever nearer to her mate than I am: ever more absolutely bone of his bone, and flesh of his flesh. I know no weariness of my Edward’s society: he knows none of mine, any more than we each do of the pulsation of the heart that beats in our separate bosoms; consequently, we are ever together." This quote automatically shows that Janes true passion and love belongs to Rochester, not St.John.

No comments:

Post a Comment